We're so stoked on this frameset. It's almost hard to sum up why this bike is so great because there are just so many different reasons to love this bike. If you're not familiar with mini velos, they're huge in Europe and Asia, because they just fit in places that a full sized bike doesn't. They're popular in Japan because full sized bikes aren't allowed on the trains, and they're popular in some of the mega metropolises of the world because apartment space isn't easy to come by. This bike handles like a proper bike and the Small and Large fit into a standard checked bag with no additional fees on most airlines. The Neutrino differs from most mini velos in a few really cool ways too. The Neutrino is disc brake specific and runs huge tires if you want to. You can fit 2.4" tires in there, no problem! Jeremy runs a 2.6" front tire in there and there's room to spare. The Neutrino also has adjustable dropouts so you can build it up singlespeed, fixed gear, internal gear hub, or with a classic outboard geared drive train. The Neutrino is made of steel, has all the mounts you could ever want (including 3 pack mounts on the fork and downtube,) and even has internal 'stealth,' dropper post routing! If you have any questions about what this bike can and cannot do, let us know! We're always happy to help.
Info from Velo Orange's website:
- 4130 double butted chromoly frame and fork that accepts fenders and rack
- Unicrown fork with accommodations for fenders, Randonneur Rack, and even a Mojave Cage or a bikepacking-style cage
- Seattube, downtube, and under-downtube bottle cage mounts
- 406 Bead Seat Diameter wheel size. That's BMX, so high-quality rims and tires are cheap, plentiful, and strong.
- Clearance for 2.3" tires WITH fenders. Holy cow!
- Sliding, 135mm QR dropouts for geared, single speed, or internally geared hubs
- Disc brake mounts (POST rear, IS front). We suggest 160mm rotors.
- Full length, external cable routing
- 1 1/8" threadless steerer
- 68 mm wide BB shell, English threaded
- 31.6mm seatpost
- Compatible with internal dropper posts. If you aren't using a dropper, you can use the internal downtube routing for the rear brake
- Paint is Pistachio with reflective VeloOrange downtube decal
- Click for FAQs and Travel Tips
We carefully tweaked the geometry to obtain a completely normal riding bike without any drama. Since the sizing is a bit less-than-traditional, we generally suggest folks that are 5'6" (168cm) and under go with a Small, and folks between 5'6" and 6' (183cm) go with a Large. If you're 6'1" to 6'4" (193cm), go with a XX-Large.
Please note: the XXL size is slightly too big to be packed as a regular checked bag like the other sizes.